Würzburg defensive pair staying put; doubts remain over Kaufmann and Gnaase

Würzburger Kickers announced on Thursday that defenders Hendrik Hansen and Leroy Kwadwo will remain with the club next season.

The pair were regulars in Würzburg’s defence last season as the club finished second in the 3. Liga to earn promotion back to the 2. Bundesliga after three years away.

Hansen had joined the club from Wolfsburg II after their last relegation in 2017 whilst left-back Kwadwo joined from Düsseldorf II last summer.

The club did not confirm how long the pair had extended for.

“We know what we have in the two characteristically perfect guys,” said CEO Daniel Sauer. “They made a big step forward last season.”

Embed from Getty Images

Coach Michael Schiele said that Hansen “did a great job in the second half of the season,” adding “his balance between uncompromising and playful styles in strong.” On Kwadwo, he said that the 23-year-old’s development over the past year had been “excellent” and “he has improved in all areas.”

Several players remain out of contract following the end of the campaign, with no further announcements as yet. However, forward Dominik Widemann has confirmed his deal has not been extended, having fallen just half-a-game short of an automatic extension.

Some key players could also leave for nothing. Fabio Kaufmann is subject to interest from Coventry City, Fortuna Düsseldorf and Paderborn, with Dave Gnaase linked with Düsseldorf as well, in addition to Bochum and Heidenheim.

Header image source: Würzburger Kickers.

Published by jamesrees1989

Football writer. 2. Bundesliga geek. Ex-Football Radar, VAVEL, Read Bundesliga. Tweets at @germanpyramid and @OxonFootball.

%d bloggers like this: